Aids Action Dance-A-Thon | Teen Ink

Aids Action Dance-A-Thon MAG

AIDS Action Dance-a-thon

by L. M., Brockton, MA

On November 20, 1993, I participated in the AIDS Action Committee Dance-a-thon. It was a 4-hour dance event which helped to raise money for the fight against AIDS. In addition to being a dancer and member of the Brockton High/Amnesty International Dance Team, I was a volunteer for AIDS Action. Running the Safer Sex Shop, along with others, was really fun! There were so many people at the dance and a ton of money was made for an excellent cause.

There were four dance floors, the main floor, World Beat, country line and ballroom dancing (with lessons available for line dancing and ballroom dancing). Each room was bursting with people, energy, and dancing shoes. Folks from all walks of life; young and old, rich and poor, gay and straight, HIV- and HIV+ came together to join more than 4,000 others and raise over $400,000 to benefit AIDS research and education.

The night climaxed at 11 o'clock when the song "Lean On Me" was played. Hands were held, couples danced, tears were shed, loved ones were remembered. A large cheer rose up from the crowd, as huge balloons were dropped. For another year, it was an event not to be missed! AIDS Action extends a big thank you! Next year we'll all see each other again.