Lessons For Life | Teen Ink

Lessons For Life MAG

By Anonymous

   Just because people are physically or mentally challenged is no reason to laugh or make fun of them. I learned this when I was in junior high and volunteered for the C.H.A.R.M.S.S. program. This program is a volunteer program which matches a student with a special needs student during a free period.

Throughout my life, I've been around people with disabilities. My cousin has Downs syndrome. She is my favorite person in the world. She is like a normal 14-year-old and her disability doesn't faze her. I decided to use my experience with my cousin to help others with special needs. I'm not claiming to be an expert.

The first day I volunteered, I met Kevin, a 16-year-old Downs syndrome boy, who was learning to write his name. It was my job to teach him. I worked with Kevin during every free class I had until we perfected his name. As I look back on my experiences with Kevin and the others, I can't understand why people would laugh or judge when they don't know anything about them.

I consider myself lucky that I had an opportunity to volunteer for such a program because I made many great friends, not only the teachers, but the students as well.

I am in high school now and although my work with C.H.A.R.M.S.S. students is over, I continue to work with one challenged person two days a week ... my cousin. I actually wouldn't call it work because all I do is watch TV and hang out with her because that's what you do with your friends ... isn't it!