Pediatric Center | Teen Ink

Pediatric Center MAG

Taking part in community service is a very worthwhile project, especially when you are able to see the results and the happiness it gives others as well as yourself.

The community service in which I take part is volunteering at the Braintree Pediatric Center. The Pedi Center has doctors, nurses and therapists who help children with emotional and physical handicaps.

In July of 1992, when I went to the Braintree Hospital and asked if I could volunteer in an area dealing with children, they assigned me to the Pediatric Center.

From the very first day, the doctors, nurses, managers and other volunteers were helpful and kind to me. They made me feel extremely welcome and comfortable, and let me know in many ways that my contribution was not only worthwhile, it was very much needed.

Most of my work consists of filing, doing computer work and clerical activities. Occasionally, one of the doctors or nurses lets me help with the children. This gives me much pleasure and fulfillment.

Since my dream is to become a pediatric nurse, both my parents and I thought that participating in this community service would be a great opportunity. We were right; it is great. I love it because it makes me feel good. It has helped make my dream a reality.