Old Faces, Young Hearts This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

As I enter the hot, stuffy room, I receive a smile from the beautiful women, akiss on the hand from Joe and a feeling of welcome and comfort from their glowingfaces.

Every Wednesday I visit the Arlington Senior Center to assist theelders. Sometimes they need help physically, but a good percentage of the time Imerely sit and listen to them talk. They love to hear about my life and commenton the changing times.

I sit with different old-timers, adjusting mycharacter to fit each individual's interests. I color with Georgia, an amazingwoman who has the most beautiful hands. I listen to Nellie complain about missingher husband Daniel, a professor at MIT. I sit with Chen, trying to understand theChinese language. I watch Elmer and Isabella watch each other. I look into Sil'sblue eyes, seeing the frustration of not being able to speak. I walk over to themen playing cards at the back table who are still trying to pick up "youngchicks," as they say.

I love sharing my thoughts and spending my time withthe elderly. I give them my attention and they help to fill my life withhappiness. The time goes by so quickly. Before I know it, it is 2: 30 p.m. and Ineed to gather their jackets. The buses are arriving after the long day's end. Isay goodbye to Val, the other assistants and my friends. Lastly, I receive a kissfrom Joe, and I return the smile, reassuring him that I'll be back. I know thatmy work is not done.

Lily">This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
yesterday at 3:59 am
i love this so much!