Making A Passover Delivery | Teen Ink

Making A Passover Delivery MAG

It was a cool sunny Sunday afternoon and we arrived at the McDonald's parking lot along with several other members of our temple. We boarded a bus headed for New York City to deliver food to people for Passover. When we arrived at Dorot, a Jewish organization that helps people in need, my friend and I decided to team up. We were given a brief orientation about what to do and then we were sent on our journey. We had a card with a lady's name and address on it and we were to deliver Passover food and to visit with her for a while.

As we approached 100th Street in Manhattan with our heavy bag of food, we started to get excited. When we got to her door, it opened and there stood Mrs. Noth. She was very excited to have us there and she welcomed us in. She took my arm and walked me into the apartment. I just thought that she was being friendly like old people always are; little did I know she was blind. I found that out later when she took out a special pen to label the food. She had to ask me what everything was. She later told us that she had been an artist before she became blind. I never found out how she became blind, but that really didn't matter while I was talking to her. We sat and talked for almost an hour about her art, her life, and her family. She was a very interesting lady and I felt good about being able to touch her life. I left with a feeling of sadness that she was all alone, but a sense of accomplishment because I had made someone happy and given them something to smile about. Even though I had only visited with Mrs. Noth once, it made me realize that there is a whole world of people out there who could use someone to make them smile too.