Brownie Leader: Cookies And All This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

When I volunteered to help the local Girl Scout organization, I figured I would be baking cookies for my sister's fifth grade troop or car pooling girls to the roller skating rink. What I never expected was that I would be assisting 23 eight-year-olds with gingerbread houses and talent show routines, in addition to distributing and cleaning up cookies and juice every Thursday at three o'clock.

I could never give up my memories as an assistant Brownie leader during my junior year. Although there were a few scrapes and tears, there were more hugs and cuddles and cries of "Mommy, that's Erin, my Brownie LEADER!" Never had I fastened more barrettes, sung more verses of "This Land is Your Land," passed out more crayons, or gained the trust and affection of so many wonderful individuals. Today there is a certificate of appreciation on my wall, a hand-crafted coloring book made by the troop members on my desk, and a pink construction paper card from one of the quietest and most troubled girls. The card simply and eloquently states: "Thank you Erin for being a fun leader and my friend."