The Blind Guides This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Every Tuesday and Thursday I drive a few miles to the Cohasset Knoll Nursing Home in order to fulfill my commitment of community service.

At first I thought I would be overwhelmed with a feeling of depression watching the older generations slip away. However, to my surprise one man opened my eyes - not with his voice, but with his heart.

His name is Eldan, and he is mute. His only way of communicating is through his wife, who is blind. Their combination of senses is so interdependent that they need each other more than anyone could ever know. Just as she is Eldan's voice, he is her eyes and together they are one.

They have come to communicate in a way few people understand: pure love and trust for one another. Although they are made aware of their disabilities every day, they use one another's strengths to benefit themselves.

What these people have given me every week is far more than they will ever know. However, what they give to each other is the greatest gift of all: love. fl