Blood Drive This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Not long ago my friends and I volunteered at a blood drive sponsored by the American Red Cross and our church. Working at the blood drive was probably one of the best things I've ever done to help someone else. Many people don't realize that giving blood not only saves one life, but two, because the Red Cross uses both the blood cells and the plasma each person donates. That's giving two people another chance to live.

Our goal was to have 50 people donate which we only missed by one person! Out of the 49 people who gave blood, the Red Cross was able to use 40 pints. That, for me, was the best feeling in the world, knowing that so many lives were helped.

Most of my friends (and I) are not 17, which is the minimum age to donate blood. But we did our share of helping by carrying blood, supplying food and just comforting some of the first-time donors.

When I'm 17 I know I'll give blood because it's everyone's responsibility to do all they can to help someone else. fl