Hockey | Teen Ink

Hockey MAG

"Come on guys, get back up." This is what I find myself saying every Saturday morning as I try to teach 20 to 30 five-year-olds to ice skate. I do community service at the skating rink in West Roxbury. I was required to do 12 hours of community service for a confirmation program. I have already reached my goal and more. I have done more than 20 hours of service.

I started my service in the fall and I was very nervous. All the parents and coaches were watching everything I did. I took a group of the so-called "advanced" skaters to a far corner of the rink. I was timid at first but then I started to loosen up. I tried to be as nice as possible to the kids. We started with the basics, such as pushing off with each skate and crossing over. Some kids had trouble stopping and some had trouble starting. But the biggest problem was that none of the kids could stand up on skates. When one fell, they all would fall! Although they weren't very good, they kept their heads up and pushed on.

I have enjoyed the last five months of early morning laughs, tears, and cold feet. Watching, what I now call "my team" get better and better was great. So what if they're not the best, they're having fun and they enjoy coming to the rink on Saturday mornings. Soon they will be moving up to the next level where they will be playing games and scoring goals. Watching them skate reminds me of when I was in their place and having just as much fun. I wish them luck and hope they will stick with the game of hockey. It is a fun game and they will love it. fl

i love this so much!