Helping The Elderly This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I dragged my shovel up Mrs. Dupuis's driveway to her stairs. She came to the door with a sweet smile on her aged face and insisted on paying me; I refused.

I was at Mrs. Dupuis's house because I began a program called SASP (Sophomores Assist Seniors Program). We do yardwork for older people (over the age of 65). Our executive board at Ludlow High makes up most of the program's helpers. Fliers are distributed around town, and notices are put in parish bulletins which is how we advertise our program. Those in need contact me and I appoint a helper who lives near them. We perform many tasks, but needless to say, shoveling was the most popular.

It feels great helping out, and my executive board does a great job. Thousands of elderly people injure themselves severely every year by trying to perform strenuous activities. It is refreshing to know that we are saving great people a lot of pain. Wouldn't you want young people to care about you when you are older? Of course you would ... so start a program in your neck of the woods. Elderly people make great friends; they enjoy your company and treasure it. The young and the old have a lot to offer each other. I have learned that through SASP. fl

iluveddie3 said...
Oct. 21, 2011 at 11:20 am:
im doing a community service event that has to do with helping a senior home in my community. i can not think of a good title/name... any suggestions ???

Lacey~Blaire said...
Mar. 4, 2010 at 7:13 am:
I think its great that their is a program for teens helping the elderly. Mrs. Dupuis is very lucky to have someone so kind and generous.

adrian1 replied...
Aug. 19, 2010 at 5:23 pm :
i know there is many people that need help but im just a teen and i want to help soo bad but i just dont know how any help??????

Gettysburg63 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 11, 2010 at 10:55 pm :
Volunteer at your local food pantry, join FBLA, or volunteer at your local VA and help veterans out to show how thankful you are for your freedom. Just a few ideas, but there are many ways to volunteer.

Brianna_Howard replied...
Sept. 17, 2013 at 2:27 pm :
Im glad the 8th grade project is here