Youth Against Cancer | Teen Ink

Youth Against Cancer MAG

Last year, as part of the group Youth Against Cancer, I participated in a phoneathon. I wasn't sure what I was getting involved with until I arrived at the building. I was assigned to a cubicle and a telephone. Then I was given a list of names and phone numbers and told to call them. The purpose of the call was to sell daffodils in support of the American Cancer Society. At first I was really nervous and every time I picked up the phone my heart would race. I was afraid that people would be rude and hang up. However, I was wrong! Many people were eager to help and contribute. I even spoke to one woman who worked as a nurse with children with cancer. At first she told me that she was very sorry and had already bought flowers at work, but then she decided to buy more from me. I couldn't believe how generous she was. I realized how many people were willing to give their support for such a worthy cause.

I was only supposed to stay for a while, but I chose to stay much longer. I thought that the longer I stayed, the more donations I could receive for the American Cancer Society. When I left that evening, they were so thankful for the work I had done. They said that any time I wanted to come back and help, I was always welcome. I realized how much they appreciated my time and effort and this year I went back to help, once again. fl