A Different Perspective | Teen Ink

A Different Perspective MAG

Last week our high school Green (environmental) Club chose to participate in an intergenerational activity with a group of seniors who met in the church across from our school. As three other girls and I walked across the street, I had no idea what we were going to do. Eventually I learned that we would be talking in groups and one-on-one with the seniors. I must admit that I was a little nervous. What would they be like? What would we talk about? I hated awkward silences.

As we entered the building, I was greeted with a sense of being at home. It was peaceful and quiet as we sat in a room like a typical living room to wait for the seniors to arrive. As they came in I realized that they weren't as old as I though they'd be, and were about as lost as I was as to what we were doing.

We began by writing things on cards and sharing in a group. It was amazing how easy they were to talk to. We continued through the afternoon, talking in groups and one-on-one. We discussed things like happiest moments and saddest moments, and goals we had. It was as if, for a few hours, my life stopped. I stopped thinking about school, my boyfriend, my friends, and everything that was happening and took time to relax, talk about things, and make some new friends.

I saw things from a different perspective. They were so much further ahead in their lives. They had already gone through everything we're going through now. I realized that being a teenager is only a small part of my life and I have much ahead of me.

Another thing that amazed me was that, though different in age, we could easily talk. Adults can be a little intimidating at times, but the seniors we talked to were simply like grown-up kids.

We entered the church as strangers and left as friends. This was an excellent and worthwhile experience. Not often enough do people take time from their busy lives just to get to know one another. It really makes you feel good about yourself and it can often help you to look ahead in life with a new perspective. fl

i love this so much!