Helping Others | Teen Ink

Helping Others

December 22, 2011
By xkarax1230 SILVER, Franklin, Massachusetts
xkarax1230 SILVER, Franklin, Massachusetts
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Community service has changed the way I view life. Through my school, we need to complete community service every quarter. At first, I thought it was a waste of my time. I knew that it was important to help others, but I never experienced the joy of helping others.
This past year, I went to a school that didn’t have all of the privileges that my school had. I could tell by the expressions on the teacher’s faces how much they appreciated the extra help. One of the things that I did was that I went to a third grade classroom to help out. I really enjoyed going because it was very eye opening to interact with the younger kids.

One activity that I did with the children was that I helped them in their reading groups. I was really surprised to see how well some of the children read. It was also influential to see that some kids could barely read. It really made me stop and think of how privileged I was growing up.

Going to this school changed my opinion on community service. I learned that I can really enjoy getting involved in community service depending on what I do for service. I learned that I should be thinking about other people that don’t have as much when I take time to help others and to take time and stop worrying about others. Service can really be a great thing and change somebody’s life.