Pius Daycare This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Imagine, during the summer, waking up in the darkness of the morning, reaching with tired arms for the alarm clock at 7:30 a.m., stumbling into the bathroom and starting the day. This was my experience over this summer, which (little did I know) would change my life and help me grow.

Five days a week for the entire summer (a summer I was supposed to have spent lounging in the sun and hanging with my friends), I volunteered at Pius Daycare, which is a part of Youth and Family Services. Many of the children are there because their parents abuse drugs and are in the process of rehabilitation. This job was not exactly how I had dreamed my summer would be, but I had decided that I wanted a special diploma which required 300 hours of community service.

The children's ages in the daycare ranged from three to five. At first, I helped out with Arts and Crafts, basic math and read stories. As time went on, and more of the children felt comfortable with me, I became more involved with their emotional and psychological problems. Because I was so involved with the children, I consequently became emotionally attached and began to enjoy working there.

Community service turned out to be a rewarding experience. I felt that I was helping children who couldn't help themselves. As a result of volunteering at the daycare, I decided that I would like to become an elementary school teacher. When you are a teacher you have the opportunity to touch and slightly alter a child's life. Children learn the basic skills of life from school and teachers can also learn from children. I still visit the children from time to time, and all of the hugs, kisses, love, and appreciation that I received during the summer was worth waking up early . fl