More Volunteers Needed This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

My name is Mike. I have been a member of the Bradford Volunteer Fire Department for three years. Companies in Rhode Island and across the nation are plagued by the need for more volunteers. Just last November a barn in Rhode Island was lost because of the lack of manpower. What will happen if something close to you goes up in flames? It could be your house, or car, or even someone you know. Just stop and think if you could have helped put it out the fire. Would one more man or woman make a difference? Everyone counts! Also, stop to think if you save even one life, isn't it all worth the pride and self-satisfaction it brings? I wait for the day I'm given the chance to rescue someone.

Check with the age requirements at your local department to see if you can join. If you are already a firefighter, isn't it worth the work? fl