A Day To Remember This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

As I walked up the steps of the strange-looking building, I began to wonder how many hours were left until I could go home. When I had decided to volunteer at HeadStart, a preschool program for underprivileged children, I was excited at the idea of helping others and gaining a new experience at the same time. But when I pushed open the doors and entered the empty hallway, a million questions began to fly through my head. What if the kids don't like me? What if I don't like them? What will I have to do here? I tried to reassure myself that everything would be fine, feeling more and more like the new kid on the first day of school.

The children didn't seem surprised to see a new face in the classroom, although I saw a few questioning eyes glance my way. The kids were busy at various activities, and I was put to work setting the tables for breakfast. I smiled at every unfamiliar face, and soon the kids came up to me, asking my name. As we sat down on the group rug, a few children even took my hand and sat with me as I was introduced to the class, as if to assure me that I was welcome.

As the day went on, I became more and more relaxed, and soon I was wondering why I was ever worried. The children were all very warm and friendly, and appeased all fears I had just a few hours ago. As I left the now-familiar building that afternoon, I felt a sense of accomplishment on many different levels. I had overcome the anxiety that had plagued me, and I had enjoyed myself while helping others. I thought about the next time at HeadStart - I would not feel scared or unsure of myself, but happy and excited to be spending another day there. fl