Clean Streets This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Eeew! This is really gross! I was standing on the side of a busy street with 10 feet of garbage around me. What was supposed to be a group of 15 volunteers from the Adopt-a-Highway program had turned into five, and so we were left to rid the entire street of the mess that had been left. It looked as if the street had not been cleaned since 1910, so we had our work cut out for us. We spent hours picking up bottles, cans, cartons, old shoes, newspapers and even tires! It amazed me how careless some people really are, and that they think the garbage is going to throw itself away! Little by little it got cleaner and cleaner, but we certainly didn't. We were covered from head to toe in dirt, and we smelled as if we had just fallen into a dumpster. All in all it was a rewarding experience, and I would do it again if it meant that my town would stay that much cleaner! fl