Floods & Mud This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Just two months ago I went to help clean up the flood mud in Falmouth, Kentucky. My family lives there, and we wanted to help. When we got there all that you could see was mud. Practically the whole city was drenched with mud or even sewage. About 95% of the business district was underwater during the flood and is now destroyed. My uncle's business lost everything. Where the town was worst hit they had to tear down all the homes. My family is now afraid that mobile home parks are going to overrun the city.

I went back the next day, and have gone back every weekend for the last month to help. We got my uncle's store back into shape so he could get new products to sell. For a couple of weeks his business was good from all the flood victims. Now everything has calmed down. The officials say that it will take Falmouth double the amount of time it took the people to recover from the 1964 floods. So it may be about six years before Falmouth is back into shape. fl