A Call To Action This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

A group of students at Happy Valley High School decided to do something about all the graffiti on bridges, signs, and buildings in our community.

We obtained funds from the school and donations from the community. The Department of Transportation gave us permission to paint state bridges and donated special paint to use. The traffic signs painted with gang symbols were cleaned and repainted by students. The graffiti on the bridges was painted over, and garbage was picked up on the highway as part of the Adopt-a-Highway program.

Teachers and students worked with local law officers who obtained information about who vandalized the community. An investigation ensued and vandalism has stopped.

Now instead of seeing graffiti on our bridges and signs, we see fresh paint. The students enjoyed working outside and volunteering their time. We are proud of our accomplishments, and so is the community. fl