Violence Prevention This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Did you know that one in four females has been physically abused? How would you feel if the one being abused was your aunt, your sister, or even your mother? How would you feel if this act of violence could have been prevented?

This year I am participating in a program to educate males in preventing violence against women, known as M.V.P., which stands for Mentors in Violence Prevention. A group of student athletes was selected to form a "team" of young male adults who could educate others in the prevention of violence. The M.V.P. program allows male teens to talk about subjects normally avoided, including rape, domestic violence, and emotional abuse. The philosophy behind this program is to stop violent acts before they start. This knowledge of violence prevention may help save lives.

At first I thought this program was going to make me feel awkward because I'm not used to discussing these issues with my peers. But after my first meeting I was surprised that my feeling of awkwardness turned to comfort. This seminar allowed me to see how violence against females affects my everyday life.

If a program similar to this exists at your school, I strongly urge you to participate. Remember, awareness = prevention. fl

Lily">This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
yesterday at 2:18 am
i love this so much!