Collecting For A Cause | Teen Ink

Collecting For A Cause MAG

When the adults came to their doors with bowls full of candy, they didn't expect to see four teenage girls dressed up, asking for a treat. Their initially puzzled faces quickly melted into smiles when they realized why a group of seventeen-year-olds were parading door-to-door on Halloween.

This past Halloween was my last to participate in a community service project begun several years ago by my Drama Club Advisor "Trick or Treating for the Homeless." Members of the club, disguised as animals, fairy-tale characters, and superheroes, proudly march door-to-door in designated neighborhoods. Instead of asking for candy, we ask for donations of canned goods or other non-perishables. The items are compiled at the end of the night and sent to the town's food pantry.

For our club, it has been a successful way to interact with the community when they least expect it. It offers people an easy way to help the less fortunate, because they only have to walk from their pantry to the door. We take care of the rest. Because we have made this an annual event, the neighborhoods are beginning to plan for our visits, and some have bags of donations ready for us.

The most satisfying part of this project is the response from the people when they learn the purpose of our trick or treating. Many adults don't interact regularly with today's youth, and assume our intentions are bad when we ring their doorbell on Halloween. Knowing that we are showing people how teens can and do act positively, makes it all the more worthwhile.

"Trick or Treating for the Homeless" is an easy way for students to get all dressed up in costumes like kids, have fun, and simultaneously impact the community. fl