The First Day of My Future | Teen Ink

The First Day of My Future MAG

By Anonymous

     What do you want to be when you growup? For me the answer has always been easy - and the same.When I grow up, I want to be a veterinarian. Of course, itwasn't until four years ago that I finally learned how tospell my desired occupation. Most kids don't have a clue whatthey want to do with their lives, but for some reason I havealways been sure. In fact, my quick and consistent responsealways made me a bit nervous. What if I didn't like being aveterinarian? What if I go through four years of college andanother four struggling through medical school to find outthat my real mission in life was to become alibrarian?

This summer, I did something that positivelyaffected my life. One afternoon I walked into my town's animalhospital and asked to do volunteer work. Initially the job wasa way to do the 33 hours of community service I needed for ourschool's 100-hour award, but it soon proved even moreimportant. The hospital loved the idea but warned me of theunpleasant conditions and even dangers of working there. Themanager emphasized that I would be working in the kennel, thelowest rung on the ladder of animal care, but the more time Iput in, the higher I would climb.

After my first dayof running around, walking and chasing dogs, cleaning cages,doing countless loads of laundry and cleaning sinks of dogbowls, I was exhausted. This was a lot more work than I hadexpected. But I showed up week after week. Every hour spent inthat hospital became more interesting and evenenjoyable.

While I learned about animal care andtreatment, medicating and supervision, which would ultimatelyhelp me in be-coming a vet, I was also learning a great dealabout myself. This was my first real work experience andproved to me how responsible, dependable and capable I am. Allmy doubts about my ability to work in this challenging fieldhave vanished. I have found something I truly enjoy and cansee doing.

Not only have I benefited greatly, but havedonated hours to my community. While my other friends weregetting $7 an hour as cashiers, I was cleaning dirty cages,forcing medication down the throats of restless cats and dogs,giving flea baths and fighting the constant threat of slobber,with no salary

at all.

I encourage teens tohelp in their community. My experiences have proved trying attimes, but extremely rewarding. After finishing my 100th hourof community service, the animal hospital offered me a paidposition. I am now training to become a veterinary technician.