A Simple Gift | Teen Ink

A Simple Gift MAG

Helping out someone makes me feelgood. Last year I participated in the annual Community ClubChristmas party. This school club helps the needy. Wevolunteer to coordinate different activities, including theChristmas party, a chance for less privileged children toenjoy this special time. Most of the children do not have theopportunity to spend Christmas the way they would like; theycome from poor families and some have no families.

TheCommunity Club members work for months preparing for theparty. I spent hours coloring and cutting pictures for thewalls. Wrapping and sorting the gifts helped us relax and getinto the Christmas spirit. Over 200 students arrived early inthe morning to help with the final decorations. But all thepreparations were nothing compared to the actual party.Hundreds of kids crowded into the cafeterias. Most came withtheir parents and siblings. When I saw thesmiles on their faces, I knew I was making a difference. Eventhe parents got into the spirit. They put aside their problemsand acted like children again. During the morning, I helpedmake crafts. It didn't matter if they did it the wrong way, aslong as they were having fun.

It's sad that someof us take life for granted. Just knowing that our Christmasparty was the closest thing to them enjoying the holiday mademe think twice about my own life. How selfish was I when Ididn't receive the gifts I wanted? As the day continued, Ihelped with the games for the children. Whether they won orlost, all the kids received a prize. I learned a valuablelesson that day. After seeing all these children, I learnednot to take things for granted, not even simple things.