The Real Meaning of Christmas This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Whenthe holiday season rolls around, do you find yourself frustrated with all thecooking, shopping, wrapping, spending, decorating, et cetera? Many people getcaught up in the worldly trappings of the holidays and forget there is aspiritual meaning that doesn't require ribbons and bows, but service andlove.

One of the best Christmases I ever had, though I did not realize itssignificance at the time, was when I was six. My dad had just lost his job and,due to a knee injury, could not find work. My family did not have much money forChristmas presents that year. My sister, brother and I were all oblivious andexpecting a normal, fun-filled Christmas. My parents were wondering how theycould meet their children's desires with so little money. On Christmas Evesomeone anonymously (although my parents do have suspects) walked up to our frontdoor, left a bag of toys, clothes and other goodies, rang the doorbell and ran.This selfless act saved three little kids from waking up Christmas morning tofind emptiness under the tree. Since then, my family has tried to return thefavor by passing on the tradition of giving and helping other families who are inthe same situation we once were.

The true spirit of Christmas isunconditional love for and service to others. Don't get so involved with thematerial aspects and greedy desires that you forget the real meaning of theholiday.

RooSea said...
that is so nice