A Valuable Experience This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The project I initiated formy high school community service program was a clothing drive for newborns. Mymother is a Registered Nurse in the maternity unit of a hospital, and over theyears she has told me about needy people who have babies she cares for at thehospital. Those families often lack the resources to buy clothes to bring theirbabies home in. Her hospital serves a very diverse patient population, includingimmigrants from impoverished nations. Some inner-city mothers have limitedresources and need assistance.

I contacted the hospital's social workerand asked if it would be helpful if I collected clothes for the newborns. She wasvery interested and grateful. I then sent letters to neighbors and family friendsasking them for donations of gently worn newborn clothing.

The responsewas good! I collected lots of baby clothes that looked almost new. Everyonethought it was a great idea and were very generous. Then my mother took theclothes to the social worker at the hospital.

This was a valuableexperience because it made me feel good that I was helping people. I alsorealized that people are willing to give and sometimes just need an opportunityto do so. I received a very nice thank-you note from the social worker, whichmade me feel that my efforts were really appreciated.

Lily">This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
yesterday at 10:30 pm
i love this so much!