The Wrong Reason | Teen Ink

The Wrong Reason MAG

By Anonymous

     Whydo people find doing community service so different from just being nice to yourneighbor and helping them mow their lawn or take out the trash? Some people cando "community service" with a smile on their face, but then not want tolend a hand to help someone out. I think the two acts are basically the samething.

I did community service that was different from most: I helped outat a food booth for a fair. At first, I thought it was kind of fun, working withmy friends, but soon my legs and back were aching. A week later, I was asked tohelp again and reluctantly agreed. It was still rather enjoyable, but when I wasasked a third time I said, "No." I was sick of standing for 10 hoursand taking orders. I thought I was doing the right thing by declining, but welost money because I didn't help.

You see, we shouldn't help just becauseit might be fun. We can help even by doing things we don't want to do. That iswhat community service really is. I did community service, but for the wrongreasons. I could have had a better attitude. I try harder now to do things morejoyfully and with a smile on my face rather than doing it only because it's fun.Community service is something we all should try to do more of.