Call Me Coach This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Fora while, I spent my Saturdays helping out a local basketball league. As theassistant coach, I had a major responsibility, and I knew that teamwork was key.At the early-morning practices, I worked with individual players, trying toimprove their jump shots, lay-ups, dribbling and passing. Afterwards, the coachand I explained the plays and offensive positions. Although it all seemedcomplicated, the team caught on quickly.

Standing by the sidelines at thegames, I realized our hard work had paid off. The kids played together as a team,and I was really proud of them. Looking back, my coaching experience turned outto be fun, though waking up at the crack of dawn for practice was a bitunpleasant.

I gained something else valuable from this experience. Iactually looked forward to volunteering at practices, and I realized that myattitude about helping others has evolved. As expected, I was reluctant to showup for the first practice, and even thought it would be a waste of time. Myattitude - as well as the team - gradually improved, and coaching turned out tobe an exceptional experience.

After completing my community service, I cansee why it is often required in schools. Helping others is a valuable activity,and builds an extraordinary amount of character. I believe that I now communicatebetter with others, and used my spare time to complete a helpful activity.Community service truly fulfilled my life, for it improved my perspective of theworld.