Volunteering This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I have been a volunteer at aretirement community for five years and I am very close to the residents. Whenpeople ask how many of my grandparents are still living, I tell them hundreds! Igo out to lunch with them, I play bingo with them, I go grocery shopping withthem, and I visit and talk with them every day. I learn so much about history. Ionce met a man who played in the Lawrence Welk band on television. I met a ladyfrom England who taught me so much. I have seen residents' health fade, and it'sso sad every time I lose one, but I know someday I will see them again.

Ialso volunteer at my school. I help with the disabled and special needs students.They have taught me that we shouldn't take everything for granted. The bestreward I get from working with them are their smiles whenever they see me. Everyday at least five give me a hug and tell me I am their best friend.

Thebest part about working with children and the elderly is knowing I made someone'sday brighter just by saying hello and giving a hug.

CP3bigplay said...
that's awesome. preparing for the sacrament of Confirmation involves this. whenever i do service [it's what we call it at my school], i walk away feeling all happy and great. to know i've helped someone and made their day better, as you do so much, makes you fell great