Volunteering with Love Letters This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Unknown
     One summer morning,I watched "The Oprah Winfrey Show" with my mom. This episode wasdifferent, not featuring the usual celebrity discussing his or her new movie, butinstead "angels" who perform simple acts of kindness. I was mesmerizedby an inspirational story about a woman named Linda Bremner. She founded LoveLetters, an organization that sends over 5,000 pieces of mail a month to childrenwith long-term or catastrophic illnesses. In admiration, I contacted Linda forinformation on how I, too, could help give emotional support to children inneed.

After reading Linda's motivating letter, I decided to become avolunteer with Love Letters by using my artistic abilities to create cards. On adaily basis, I create cards or bookmarks on card stock with stickers and markers,stamps and decorative scissors. The idea of these cards is to brighten the day ofa child and to give hope and courage to keep fighting.

As I create mycards, I realize that just one can make a difference in a child's life. With thatin mind, I worked for six months creating cards to send to over 1,000 children. Iwas motivated throughout because of Linda Bremner's enthusiastic words and by thechildren. I will continue to volunteer for Love Letters tosupport children.

Go to LoveLettersinc.org for more information