Controlling Pests Naturally | Teen Ink

Controlling Pests Naturally MAG

By Anonymous

     Theenvironmental work I have done in my community has had great meaning for me. Mytown has an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) policy for town property that wasinitiated by the Conservation Commission almost ten years ago. IPM is a carefullyplanned strategy for controlling pests through natural methods, with chemicalsused only as a last resort. Since most of our town is residential, I felt thatthis policy would not have much of an impact if citizens didn't know about it touse on their property. I wanted to spread the word to residents to help protectnot only the community, but also the environment.

I brought the idea to myCommunity Problem-Solving team, but since our last project dealt withenvironmental awareness, the team decided to work on a different topic. Feelingthat the IPM issue was important, I decided to pursue it on my own, under theConservation Commission's supervision.

I spoke with our first selectmanabout addressing the issue in his weekly column. I also produced a video on IPMfor our local cable station. Five expert panelists and a moderator discussedIntegrated Pest Management and the negative effects of toxins. The panelistsincluded a clinical professor of pediatrics at the Yale School of Medicine, thepresident of The Environment and Human Health, Inc., North Haven's firstselectman, the chairperson of the Conservation Commission, and the Director ofPublic Works. The program aired not only on the town's cable channel, but also ontwo others, reaching many communities.

I applied for and received a grantfrom the Community Foundation of Greater New Haven for this project that I usedto make the video and print flyers advertising the program and promoting IPM. Theflyers that were inserted in our local newspaper also offered a list of safealternatives.

I volunteer and recruit others to work on householdhazardous waste and electronics collection days. I have also worked to distributeinformation to students and their families at our four elementary schoolsregarding hazardous waste collection and fever thermometer exchanges. I havetried to promote household hazardous waste collection by putting signs up instores and our library. The Environmental Club, of which I am a member,re-implemented a recycling program at my school.

I have always felt thatif we are to sustain the environment, we need to treat it with respect. I hopethat my efforts have had a positive effect on my community.