Turkeys R Us | Teen Ink

Turkeys R Us MAG

In 1996, we were watching the news when a report explained that the Greater BostonFood Bank was 5,000 turkeys short for Thanksgiving. We found this very disturbingand printed up flyers to distribute in our neighborhood. We asked neighbors ifthey would buy turkeys that we would take to the food bank. We collected 36turkeys that first year. The next year we reached out again and collected 360turkeys. This is when we decided to start Turkeys R Us, our nonprofitorganization that provides turkeys to families in need at Thanksgiving. Ourcompany has grown over the years and as of last year, we have provided over160,000 pounds of turkey to area food banks. That's enough to feed more than320,000 people.

It's a great feeling to sit down to our own Thanksgivingmeal knowing that we have made a difference to so many others. We have handed outour turkeys at local food banks and to individuals as well. Most of these areyoung families with kids our age and are very thankful when we give themturkeys.

We're glad that we started Turkeys R Us. It has provided uswith a great opportunity to help others. We plan on continuing this project untilwe put an end to hunger. Our father passed away last August, and a lot of thelessons he taught us are an essential part of Turkeys R Us. He always wanted usto be compassionate, to be thankful for what we have and to be determined to dowhat we want. We hope that others will want to do something in their communitiesand realize that kids can make a difference in the lives of others.