Locks of Love This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I have had long hair ever since first grade when I cut my hair to shoulder length and hated it. I swore I would never cut it short again. I kept this promise until today, when I walked into a salon and asked them to cut off 12 inches. A million questions ran through my head: Will it be too short? Will she mess up? What if I want my hair back? What will my friends think?

The lady pushed my head forward. What in the world is she doing, I wondered. I felt metal on my neck and started having second thoughts, but when she held up my ponytail I was so proud of myself.

This was not just any haircut. I didn't do this for myself, I did this for a complete stranger. About a year ago I read about Locks of Love, an organization dedicated to providing hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children suffering long-term medical hair loss. I was touched, and felt strongly about participating in this cause.

I was lucky to have nice long hair, and the thought of someone, especially a child, not having any upset me a lot. With my hair, Locks of Love will make a wig for a child who doesn't have any hair.

Every time I look in the mirror and see my shoulder-length hair now, I can't help but smile. I know I helped put a smile on the face of a child I do not even know. I encourage everyone, especially teens, to do something for a good cause because it really is rewarding. Their website is www.locksoflove.org.