Operation Noah This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

As a member of my community, I recognize my responsibility to give back and created a program called “Operation Noah,” a stuffed animal drive to benefit pediatric wards at three hospitals. I enlisted the help of schools and merchants to set up drop locations for people to donate new stuffed animals to comfort young patients. I have also involved the media and community groups, including a local theater, to help publicize the fact that everyone can help.

The idea came to me after I spent time in the hospital. During one visit I was given a stuffed animal that comforted me, but I was told that there was only one remaining. I decided to help other children undergoing painful and frightening procedures by setting up a drive to collect stuffed animals. From my own experience, I know that a hospital can be a pretty scary place, so it gives me a lot of satisfaction to know that I have helped ease other children’s fears.

This past Thanksgiving, I decided to spend time with sick children and parents of premature babies. It was very meaningful to know I was helping others on such an important weekend when they could not be home and healthy for their holiday.

Currently, I have collected over 6,500 stuffed animals, given them to hospitals and visited patients to hand them out. On each animal is a tag that explains how they can give back to the program by dropping off stuffed animals at certain locations. As I grow older, I will continue this project and find new ways to make the world a better place.

Lily">This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 9 at 9:46 pm
i love this so much!