Never Doubt | Teen Ink

Never Doubt MAG

By Anonymous

     Anthropologist Margaret Mead said, “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.” It is a common belief that no matter how hard you try, you cannot improve the world. Community service of any kind or amount, though, changes the lives of those it affects, and those affect others and so on until the world is affected. I have always been willing to help out - from a neighbor’s needs to my school’s organizations such as FCCLA (Family Career and Community Leaders of America) and SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions). For an assignment, my English teacher asked us to complete eight hours of community service. It started out as a requirement but turned into a lifetime of service.

My teacher told me about a project I could help with through Global Health Ministries, is a charitable organization that provides medical supplies and funding for Lutheran health-care missionaries. The possibilities here are endless, and my project was to knit reusable bandages to send overseas. The great thing about GHM is that even if you don’t have time to knit, you can purchase supplies that are sent to various locations and are just as helpful (see www.ghm.org).

The first thing I needed to do was find supplies but the detailed directions made it easy. Once I bought the yarn and needles, I only had one more task: learn to knit. Many things are easier said than done, and knitting is one of them. Each bandage needed to be four feet long. At my rate, which was knit two inches and then rip out one to fix a mistake, it took me about eight hours to make one bandage. Despite my sore fingers and back, the satisfaction of helping this organization felt great. Eventually, the bandages were done, washed and sent to Global Heath Ministries.

What I like most about my project is that it is something I can continue. It amazes me how one person in the middle of America can make a difference in the lives of people overseas. A small group of people can change the world, and helping with the Global Help Ministries is a great way to begin.