The Magical Moon Foundation | Teen Ink

The Magical Moon Foundation MAG

In the beginning of senior year I met an inspiring person who made me realize what’s important in life. Her name is Donna Green, and she gives without being asked or expecting anything in return. She started The Magical Moon Foundation (www.themagicalmoonfoundation.org) for kids with cancer. A few friends and I went to help one day and set up a terminally ill child’s birthday party. This was the first time I heard about her foundation, and since then I’ve often been at her house to help fold flyers, clean up the yard, and fix up the house.

She’s always telling stories of the incredible children who struggle for their lives, those who survive (the Knights of the Magical Moon) and those who have passed (the Angel Knights of the Magical Moon). Equally amazing are the stories she tells about those who raise money for her foundation, most of whom are cancer survivors themselves.

After I’d helped for a month, Donna threw a sock hop party with raffles and a silent auction to raise money for the foundation. It was packed with everyone she had talked about. Children and adults chattered and twisted in poodle skirts. Even a number of Magical Moon Knights joined us with their energetic and smiling faces.

At the end of the night, Donna thanked and honored the fundraisers and friends, and even thanked my group for everything we’d done to help and gave us awards. Although this was not a professional, athletic or academic award, it was the most valuable one I have ever received. Now every time I start to feel bad, I remember that I have a life uninterrupted by cancer and a childhood not filled with hospital visits. I also remember that I can make a difference by volunteering. It is an ongoing lesson: to be a selfless human being, volunteer my time, and love it.