Helping Hands | Teen Ink

Helping Hands

By stephh BRONZE, Dix Hills, New York
stephh BRONZE, Dix Hills, New York

How do you serve your community? This question can be interpreted many ways. When I think of this a few things come to mind. I serve my community by doing little things. I recycle; I throw away my trash…in the garbage can, and I babysit. All of these small tasks may not seem much, but if everyone did it our community would be better. Recycling helps a lot. One recycled aluminum can saves enough energy to power a television or computer for 3 hours or a 100-watt light bulb for 20 hours. A six-pack of recycled aluminum cans saves enough energy to drive a car 5 miles. Littering is a big issue also. The community is made of many people, and who of those people litter? 75% of Americans admit to littering within the last five years. The most common litter offenders- men between 18-34 years. Also smokers, people who eat at fast food places at least two times per week, drives more than 50 miles/day, and people who go out for entertainment at least one time per week are littering.
My mom serves the community every single day, and I admire her so much for it. She is a trustee on the Board of Education. It is a full time job, with no pay. She does it to give back to the people. Every day she is working on something to improve the school district. Sometimes people don’t think that little things like that are really serving, but in the end they are. So…how do you serve your community?