Senior Soldiers

I am currently a junior in high school, and want to attend the United States Military Academy. So far I have volunteered helping out at a retirement home, helping paint a fence at a local cemetery, and doing community service activities with my church and FBLA. I also volunteer at my local VA hospital. Though it is at the VA where my work has affected me the most.

My service to the VA began in October of 2010. I have been a military history buff for many years, and I figured why just read about history when I can meet the soldiers who made history. I help out in the retirement home ward of the VA. There you find soldiers of America's past; WWII, Korea, Vietnam. Many of them have missing limbs and are in wheel chairs. They are living monuments to the horrors of war. What I do is help out with activities for the veterans. Whether it may be a birthday party for a vet or the many tailgate parties for Packer games food is always plentiful, brats, hot dogs, and beans galore. I help serve serve the vets food, asking what they want while they watch the game. Then I grab a plate of my own and sit next to a vet and hear what they have to say and watch the game with them. Many still do not want to talk of their experiences in a war seventy years ago. Then after the game is over, and the Packers have hopefully won, I help clean up and bring the vets back to their rooms. By volunteering at the VA I see and hear of how much these soldiers have truly suffered for the sake of freedom. We owe these soldiers a debt we will never be able to repay. These soldiers have served their time on the watchtower of freedom during the chaos of war. Soon I feel it will my duty to serve the watchtower of freedom. Hopefully, I will be able to serve it as well our soldiers of the past have.

http://www.volunteer.va.gov/apps/VolunteerNow/

kaylajenee said...
Wow! this is great! I am currently a Junior in high school and am looking forward to joining the U.S. Army when i graduate and I think what you are doing is amazing!!

Gettysburg63 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
That's neat we're in the same stuation. Everyone at my school blabs on about college and only around 5 or less graduating students every year join the military. So what made you want to join the U.S. Army? The roots of me wanting to join the army is that I have been a miliatry history buff for many years and even when I was a youngster I would play with my hundreds of plastic army men. No person in my family ever really served so I don't know where this came from. Also, just out of curiousity do... (more »)

Gettysburg63 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I can't wait to volunteer at the VA this weekend