MLK Day Experience

Attending the Martin Luther King (MLK) Day Celebration at Central United Methodist Church in Detroit, Michigan was truly inspirational. I got to see all races and nationalities united as one to make a positive impact in the community of Detroit. As we marched in the city of Detroit from Comerica Park to Hart Plaza for peace, justice, and equality, I felt so fortunate to have had the opportunity to march. I was happy I could be a part of the solution, instead of being a part of the problem. We marched to keep the dream of MLK alive, that all people could live in peace and have freedom. We also marched for better wages, jobs, and justice. As I walked through the streets of Detroit marching, it was very cold but I couldn’t forget the purpose I was there—to celebrate MLK for his commendable work. I never realized the sacrifices the previous generations made to make our lives better. MLK was just not about words, he was about action. In addition, not only did I march, I heard three keynote speakers: Councilwoman JoAnn Watson, Congressman John Conyers, and Mr. Willie “Mukasa” Ricks. Councilwoman Watson presented a tribute to Rev. Lucius Walker, and spoke of his good deeds with the 21 Friendship Caravans. After her tribute the honorable John Conyers, U.S. Representative for Michigan's 14th congressional district, had his remarks and welcome from the Congress. Finally, Mr. Willie “Mukasa” Ricks, a companion of Dr. MLK, gave the keynote address. He told the story of him, Dr. MLK, and Stokely Carmichael in Mississippi in 1966. How they faced bombs, bullets, and bulldogs. I was encouraged to see different speakers speak about things that affected them and things they wanted to see a change in. Attending the MLK Day Celebration allowed me to realize it only takes one to make a change. I will continue to be actively involved in my community and make a positive impact like Martin Luther King Jr.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

Official_DKW said...
Mar. 14, 2011 at 9:33 pm:
Thanks for reading my article! More to come soon.