New Orleans

This past summer I spent time in New Orleans, helping rebuild homes devastated by Hurricane Katrina five years ago. It was an awe inspiring trip. I never expected to see the amount of work that still needs to be done in the city. I have participated in community service before, but no other work ever made me realize the value of my commitment to helping others like my New Orleans experience. The positive energy of the community is amazing. Everyone is hopeful and very gracious in accepting anyone’s help. In addition to rebuilding homes I helped build a community garden near the Fourth Quarter and helped to set up school orientation at a charter school temporarily located in trailers. While I was in New Orleans I had the opportunity to hear first hand stories from survivors about how their life changed after the levees breached. My time in New Orleans made me realize the importance of everyone coming together to help our community in a time in need. Even after being home for several months I continue to check the updates online with the St. Bernard Project to see how the restoration is progressing.