Moment I Changed My Mind | Teen Ink

Moment I Changed My Mind

By pinkms BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
pinkms BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

When I was younger my mom constantly repeated, "Help those in need." I have always been aware that certain individuals are better off than others. I, however, did not take interest in this matter until one day my mom told me to get dressed, for she was going to take me somewhere that would give me a change of heart.

We finally got into the car and drove off. After a couple of minutes we arrived at a simple yet spacious building. She finally told me we were going to volunteer at a church affiliated youth shelter in Phoenix, Arizona.

We got off the car and entered the building. I did not know what to think at first, for the emotion inside the room was extremely solemn. I did not know whether to feel sorry for the children that had nowhere to live or happy to be there to help.

I remember meeting a small child by the name of Austin, but he preferred to be called Captain Batman. He wore a red cape and ran as fast as could be so it looked like he was flying. He would yell, “Dananananananaaa Batman!” He was the most adorable little thing I had ever seen. He did not have a single care in the world.

The mood of the room was also a bit somber, for the children all looked as if they carried the weight of the world on their soldiers. I walked around trying to take in the whole experience of the youth home. The room was not very exciting. It had some game tables, coloring paper, and several book shelves. There was not a tremendous amount of pleasurable activities for youth.

I was in complete shock of how some people live. It is one thing to hear and read about shelter homes, people without homes, and lack of everyday necessities, but it is a whole other thing to actually go to the source and see with your own eyes the brutality of the unbelievable circumstances these young individuals face each and every day of their lives.

My mom and I quickly started towards to the kitchen because he had told me we were going to make a delicious meal for the children. When she told me this, I could not help but smile. I felt so good knowing that I was going to be aiding these children.

I rapidly started to prepare the feast. I chopped onions, diced carrots, and even mixed some punch. I could not wait for these children to eat their meal. We were finally finished with the meal.

I helped along with other volunteers to set up the table. After a few minutes we sat all the children down and served the food. There was corn, rice, and even some cake for dessert. They children all had satisfied looks on their faces.

Those smiles meant the world to me. I felt extremely happy that they were eating a good meal. They deserved that meal because they were going through such a hardship of life. I will never forget that day.

That day was my first and definitely not my last act of kindness. The feeling volunteerism give is irreplaceable. To see whoever it is you are helping smile, is the best feeling in the world. I am no longer ignorant towards volunteer work. I try and sign up whenever I have free time.