A Ray of Hope | Teen Ink

A Ray of Hope

By dulce215 BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
dulce215 BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

“This will be an experience like no other. At the end of the day will you truly discover how blessed you are” were the last words Mr. Holman uttered as the bell rang to dismiss us from history class.

This was going to the first field trip of the year. I was overwhelmed with excitement mainly because I had no idea what to expect. Would I have fun? Would I grow as an individual? Or would it be the biggest regret? These questions kept running through me head throughout the entire car ride.

“Okay we’re here,” my mother exclaimed.

I embraced the sun’s thriving energy as I stepped out the door. As I entered the location, I received chills like never before. The butterflies in stomach tried to escape as if grasping for air one last time. At Project Commissions on Urgent Relief and Equipment also known as C.U.R.E, Tempe volunteers received the class with a warm embrace.

The place looked like an enormous storage room but, to the selfish eye it appeared to be a garbage dump. Little would they know it is not dump it’s actually donated supplies and equipment.

Project C.U.R.E ships necessities to less fortunate countries. The items in the packages sent cover most supplies that are used in the medical field, from surgical gloves and hypodermic needles to donated hospital beds, wheelchairs and respiratory monitors. Project C.U.R.E. also does two different small kits as well. The C.U.R.E. Kits are medical supplies that address short term emergencies. The C.U.R.E. Kits for the Kids contain health care supplies which are given to parents with children younger than the age of 15.

Sometimes the donated items received are not in very good condition. The materials become broken or incomplete. So the volunteers create an incomplete pile which is used for mix and match. For instance, if there was a wheelchair and one of the footrests was missing one could go through the incomplete items in search for a footrest in hopes of finding one similar to the one that is already there. This was the task I was given it was both challenging and stressful because it’s not always easy finding an almost perfect match.

“How’s it going sweetie?" hovered one of the volunteers from over my shoulder.

“I never thought it would be such hard work.” I said as I tried to find a mix match pair of a footrest.

To my surprise she didn’t respond back, but I did receive a loving smile in return.

My eyes would continuously wonder around as if searching for the leprechaun at the end of the rainbow. I saw the smiles on my classmate’s faces and realized, “Wow we are making a difference here.”

At the time, we were all within the ages of 12 and 13. I didn’t think we would make our difference for our young age.

Suddenly, I heard someone say, “Would you guys be interested in labeling the boxes?”

“Yes!” we all shouted with great joy.

Mr. Holman was right; this experience was like no other. It changed my life in many ways and helped me grow as in individual. For one, I discovered how truly blessed I am and basic necessities are the things I take for granted the most. I have become a materialist person who relies solemnly on her phone, iPod and laptop which is not one of my biggest accomplishments. Now, as I continue to volunteer in high school I enjoy the feeling of helping others placing their needs before my own.