Stuff the Bus This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I've always heard that community service is the best way to help out. I have tried different types. I have chosen a child's name from a Christmas tree to donate presents, I have volunteered in homeless shelters, and I have donated food for those in need. None of these efforts really affected me until this year when I went on a school field trip called Stuff the Bus.

Stuff the Bus is a program to collect food and nonperishable goods, and give them to people who cannot afford a Thanksgiving dinner. This touched my heart in a way that others did not understand. About six years ago, my father was really sick and was in the hospital for two months. Since he could not work and my mom was working less to be with him, money was really tight for my family. Of course, family members were there to support us, but if it had not been for organizations like Stuff the Bus, we would have gone hungry. People brought us Christmas gifts, food, and even clothes.

Most people say, “Let's help the needy; they are poor.” Well, I know that's not always true. My family isn't rich, but we aren't poor either. We were just in a bad situation. People need to be kinder to those in need. Families who need donations may not all be “poor.” In reality, this could happen to anyone.

This community service project touched my heart in another way too. Some of the students who went on this field trip were kids our age with severe learning disabilities. Most teens assume they can't relate, but really, they are into the same things we are. We were partnered up and learned how to spend time with each other. We got to be their best buddy for the day. It really helped me to understand their perspective on life and realize that we are all very similar deep down.

Of all the community service I have done, Stuff the Bus helped me the most. It changed my life. I loved everything we got to experience. It really made me feel like I was giving back to those who had helped my family in the past. I hope that everyone can find some way to give back to their community. It could help them to become a better person.

Kristen C the author said...
thank you sooo much ! that means a lot to me that you were inspired. you are more then welcome to share this article with your friend and family!

ilovewriting95 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 23, 2011 at 9:48 pm:
Great job! I loved your article. It was really inspiring and you have inspired me to start looking for more ways to help people. Congrats on being published too. :)

mommy said...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 9:13 am:
We are so proud of your work. We love you alot.

"Aunt" Beth said...
Feb. 1, 2011 at 6:34 pm:
Great Job!  Very proud of you.  You will be a role model for girls your age!

Aunt Pat said...
Feb. 1, 2011 at 5:47 pm:
I am so proud of you.  I knew my god daughter would do something great with her life.  Love ya forever XXOO