Pencils With Purpose This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Mahatma Gandhi once said, “Be the change you wish to see in the world.” And that is exactly what I intend to do.

Last year, I had the privilege of visiting the Apache Indian reservation in Arizona. Due to the recent recession and the accompanying loss of jobs, many families, churches, and schools were struggling to stay afloat. It really opened my eyes seeing how some parts of our country are less fortunate than others. My trip got me wondering what I could do to help those affected by this tough economy.

As young children in school, we loved glittery pencils and fancy notebooks. These small things gave us a spark of excitement and made us feel special. I realized after visiting Arizona that many families can't afford even basic school supplies.

So a year ago, I started a community project called Pencils with a Purpose. I collect supplies and donate them to schools and families that have been affected by the downturn in the economy.

When I began promoting my project, family, friends, and neighbors were eager to help. After just one year, I'm proud to say that I have donated over 500 school supplies to East Fork Lutheran School on the Apache Indian Reservation in Arizona. The school had a 75 percent reduction in funding for its operational budget this year and was very appreciative of my donation.

I look forward to seeing my community project bloom into a nationally known nonprofit organization one day. I strongly believe that volunteerism should exist all over the country. The difference that we can make is critical to those in need.

Cindy X. said...
I really think that is great. I think i would like to make a donation, where should i send it?

SteFanii replied...
Hey I thought this article was fantastic nice work...I read it in the Community Connections!