For Megan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Megan was a very important person to me. She was my role model. When Megan developed bone cancer in seventh grade, I was devastated.

Megan was the strongest person I knew. She never complained through chemo, hospitalization, IVs, or the other horrible things doctors did to try to save her. Megan cared more about other people. She cheered up the other children in the hospital; she didn’t just think about herself.

When the cancer spread to Megan’s hip, shoulders, and lungs, she knew she would be in heaven soon. Megan spent her last days with her family at home, shopping on the Internet, reading Harry Potter books, eating Cookie Crisp, and watching movies. She died peacefully in her living room holding her brother’s hand on July 11, 2007. We will never forget her: she will be in our hearts forever.

After spending the rest of the summer alone and depressed, it was time for the new school year. I ­decided that I didn’t want to sit around and cry any longer; I was ready to make a difference. I thought about Megan and it hit me: We’d start an organization to help kids in the hospital who were sick as she had been. I told my friends about my idea. We decided to weave friendship bracelets from string and deliver them to the hospital.

Two months later, when we had made 100 friendship bracelets, I started making calls. The hospital Megan was in said they would love to have us, and we arranged to come on Halloween. I collected money and we bought candy. On Halloween, we dressed up in shiny costumes. I was nervous. What if they don’t like me? I shook off my nerves and ­replaced them with excitement. I wanted to do this more than anything.

When we arrived at the hospital, we went room to room on the pediatric floor to deliver the candy and bracelets, and watch the children’s faces light up. At the end of the hour, we were empty-handed but felt wonderful.

We asked to return on Thanksgiving, and the organization took off from there. Ever since, we have visited the hospital at least once a month; bonding with the long-term patients and meeting new ones.

We named our organization Lovelets: Megan’s Bracelets Of Hope. We now use donated money to buy small gifts like markers, pillows, stuffed animals, books, art projects, and other items for the kids. I know Megan is smiling from heaven and giving us a thumbs up. We love keeping Megan’s spirit alive and making sick children feel better.

writinglikecrazy said...

Oh my god. My best friend died from Leukemia in Fifth grade in 05. I am so sorry. She cared about others to in the Hospital

haha4579 said...
This was sa beautiful! I loved everybit of it! ***** Five stars!

crubs3 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Beautiful.

Joy said...
This article brought tears to my eyes. 5 stars.

Fallen_Freak replied...
Jul. 3, 2010 at 10:22 pm :
This was beautiful. I think that what u r doing is a great way to remember ur friend. I am also sorry about ur loss. My friend had cancer (forgot what type... was a while ago) and was in the hospital for most of the school year. And then in the end of the year, she came back the day we had to run the mile. And to make herself look like she was better, or maybe it was to show how strong she was, she ran it, but got very sick afterwards. her father promised her that if she fought through the kemo ... (more »)