A friend

It’s a rainy Saturday afternoon, and most of my friends are watching TV or on Facebook, but my friend Shayna and I are serving lunch at a home for the elderly with Alzheimer’s or dementia. Volunteering is very important to me and I love talking to all the residents about Passover or Purim or the last holiday. I love talking to Jack who wants to know how I will earn money if I work for free and can speak six different languages. Many of the residents seem like they don’t have Alzheimer’s until you have the same conversation with them three times. Many of the residents have some amazing stories to tell; like Jack who was born in Greece and moved to New York, or Bob who owns a sports museum. Many of the residents want you to sit with them and listen, or tell them about your life. The residents just want a friend.

Cheekymonkey said...
this is really nice :) I agree the first sentance is a bit out of place though :D otherwise great job

writingchick This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
That's so sweet! :)

iDogrocker said...
This is a great piece. The only thing that kind of stuck out of place was the first sentence. It didn't flow as well as it could have. Good luck!