Serving People in Need at Redemption Community Church | Teen Ink

Serving People in Need at Redemption Community Church

By Megan McPheely SILVER, Duluth, Georgia
Megan McPheely SILVER, Duluth, Georgia

Redemption Community Church is a church in downtown Atlanta that serves the people who live there, especially those who live under the bridge. They serve the people of Atlanta through offering a meal once a week and by showing the love of Jesus. The way the love of Jesus is shown is through prayer and sharing scripture.

I worked at Redemption Community Church on November 26th, 2009 to help serve a Thanksgiving meal to the homeless and the job I had was serving the meal to the homeless.
My favorite part of the experience was helping those who did not have a home. While I really enjoyed serving, I also felt sad because I knew this meal was the only meal many of the people who came would receive and some asked me for more food and I knew I could not give them more.
While I was serving these people, I realized how lucky I am to have a roof over my head and to have the required number of meals per day. I was shocked by some of the people who came in. I was expecting many of the people to smell bad and some were better off than I had expected. I knew going into the church we would mainly be serving people from under the bridges in Atlanta and those who were homeless.