Learning to Love Service | Teen Ink

Learning to Love Service

April 30, 2008
By Anonymous

Many people who I have spoken to have considered community service to be a waste of time. They don’t see the deeper meaning of it; they just view it as a completely pointless deed for you don’t make any money in return for giving up your precious time. However, through my experience with community service, it is certainly not a waste of time.

Before I made my confirmation, I had to obtain a certain amount of community service hours. I decided that I would help with a children’s summer program. I figured it would be the easy way out; how hard could telling a group of kids what to do be? On the first day, I learned just how difficult it could be. They were constantly whining, wanting their mothers, wanting more, cookies, always just wanting something. Gradually, I was able to improve my patience skills and learn how this ability is very useful. I also gained a greater consideration for others. I felt much better giving the children my snacks and knowing how happy it would make them, then me eating them and not really appreciating them. Through this one act of community service, I learned two very important values that I will maintain for the rest of my life.