Radio Waves This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Have you ever heard of a radio station that airs programs especially for the visually impaired? Sun Sounds of Arizona is a radio station that provides informational literary sources for those who have a disability that prevents them from reading. I began volunteering there a few years ago. Initially, it seemed an easy way to get the required service hours for my school. My problem had always been that I tended to get bored easily, but I hoped that this might keep my attention long enough to fulfill my twenty hours of service.

First I was called in for an interview, which I felt unprepared for. Before I went, my mom told me to be myself, and I was. They wanted me to try to read for a program, in case they needed someone to fill in. They explained that some of their volunteers read newspapers, magazines, and books for the visually impaired programming. So I took the test, reading aloud excerpts from books, comics, magazines, and newspapers.

I thought I did horribly, but a couple days later I got a call from Sun Sounds asking me if I would like to read a weekly program called Teen Magazines. I agreed, thinking about all the teens my age who couldn’t read the splendid literature of teen magazines. I read articles with tips on dating, hair, makeup, and relationships, as well as funny short stories. These topics are important to teens, which is why I am glad I chose to volunteer at Sun Sounds. I know I am making a difference in the lives of others.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

Robot_42 said...
Very cool! I have never heard of that. I might see if something like this exists where I live. Very nice article.