My Epiphany This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

As I hurriedly filled each box with two cans of peas, I implored the day to end. I was hungry, exhausted and just plain ungrateful. The only reason I had signed up to work at St. Mary's was for the community service hours. Those hungry families weren't seeing me sweat – they weren't even going to thank me. Why was I putting ­myself through this miserable torture? The only thing that got me through the day was having my friend beside me.

However, during my ­complaining and whining I suddenly realized something: there I was, anxious to get home and eat, while there were million of poor souls wandering the streets with nothing to put in their mouths. I thought my work was so slight it wouldn't even make a difference. Boy, was I wrong. Even the most menial job helps; my packing peas helped feed a couple hundred families.

This experience opened my eyes to a new world. The satisfaction I received from feeling useful cannot be experienced through anything else. I truly believe I have become a better person just through that simple act of volunteering. I am now thankful for all my blessings and I wish to help those that aren't as lucky as I am. I thank God every day for all the blessings I have. Volunteer and experience the joy of giving instead of receiving – I promise that it's the best feeling in the world.

Yuri B. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I was touched by your story of volunteering at the food bank. Keep up the good work!

4thGrade said...
Apr. 26, 2010 at 6:33 am
no act of kindness is ever too small. thank you for sharing your story.

M.Delic said...
Feb. 12, 2010 at 9:29 am
Greeeeeat jon, Nayeli!! I loooooooooove it. :)

M.Delic replied...
Feb. 12, 2010 at 9:29 am
job* Sorry. Lol