Hope has Four Legs

When I first walked into the stable that day, I didn't know what to expect.

I was here to volunteer to help handicapped kids ride horses for therapy.
I must admit, I was scared. Thoughts about the different people I would face, how heartwrenching it would be to see these kids.

The thought "Can I really do this?" Kept going through my head.

"Hello. You must be Sarah. I'm Kait, here's some brushes, can you brush Cash?"
"Yes"
"Great. We have about fifteen minutes"
As I get into the familiar rythem of grooming a horse, i let my thoughts drift.
What kind of handicaps? What if I do something wrong, and they fall off?

Too soon, Kait comes and yanks me out of my trance. I see a little girl, no more than four or five. She's African American, and adorable.

I don't see anything visibly wrong with her.
"She has Spinal problems. She's just recovered from her third surgery."

Alana* wanted to run to the horses. she hugged them, and said to me as I held her belt to make sure she was steady:
"Some people look at me weird. But the horses don't care. They just want you to get better so you can bring them more carrots."

A five year old said this. FIVE. Just then i realized, sometimes we need to be like horses. We need to help people carry their burdens, and carry them when their weak. We need to allow people to lean on us, and eventually, they'll do the same for us.

haha4579 said...
This was really touching! :) Great Story!

writerscramp01 said...

Hey Guys! I have revised this poorly written thing and combined it with the follow up one. Please check it out! Its on my "Better writtings" screen name. click on the screen name in blue above and then click on the revised version.

Thanks!

Keep writting til you can't anymore, then pick up your pen and write some more!                         

Love a... (more »)

live & love said...
Jun. 28, 2010 at 8:08 pm:

Wow, so many of these articles just flaunt the commmunity service that people do, and seem almost braggy, but this really told a story. Great job.

writerscramp01 replied...
Sept. 28, 2010 at 11:44 am :

Thanks and I'm sorry that the grammer and everything is so bad. I was in a hurry to type this, and you know on TeenInk you can't save things and come back later to edit them! I have better poems and such on this account.

Thanks for commenting, guys!

DeadlyPoppy said...
Mar. 17, 2010 at 5:07 pm:
This is so amazing. It's so beautiful what some of the kids say. I guess having people treat you like you're less than them really makes you think. It's wonderful that you want to help them.

writerscramp replied...
May 20, 2010 at 5:11 pm :

Yeah.
I love those kids because they are smarter than...well... just about everyone I know!

Thanks for commenting! Sorry I didn't check sooner. :(

writerscramp said...
THANKS FOR COMMENTING KEEP'EM COMING!

writerscramp said...
Wow. This isn't a poem, but thanks for commenting! To all of you Thanks a lot, guys!

TheWrittenHeart said...
Nov. 7, 2009 at 10:56 am:
First of all, great poem! It's so wonderful for you to be helping the kids. You are right, they are no different then us. They just get treated differently. I am in a club that helps disabled kids too. But not as much as you do because, well, it is a school club and a lot of people are only here to get volunteer hours. Which makes me mad because it's supposed to be about the KIDS, not their own selfish reasons! Wait, I think I lost my point...Oh yeah, great poem and you are a good pers... (more »)

L*N* said...
Well the horses dont know that they're actually physically or mentally wrong with a disabled human. but besides that your paragraph goes on to two different subjects. GReaaattttttttttttttt JJOOOOOOOOOOBBBB

horsecrazy101 said...
Sept. 25, 2009 at 10:18 am:
that is amazing , i work with kids that dont have any issues , on horses but ocassionaly we get them!! Amazing what a wounderfull little girl!!

writerscramp replied...
Sept. 26, 2009 at 4:02 pm :
Yes. She is a sweetie. All the kids are! Even the "emotionally disturbed kids" are sweet if you talk and joke and don't treat them any different.

ridetolive20 replied...
Sept. 27, 2009 at 5:15 pm :
wow. this story is absolultly wonderful. what the kids say are true and makes me think. very insparational!

horsecrazy 321 replied...
Oct. 7, 2009 at 6:26 pm :
that is truelly amazing! you are a great insperation , i love working with kids and i have had a couple of disturbed kids and there just like any one else
i forgot my password

writerscramp replied...
Apr. 25, 2010 at 4:41 pm :
Hey everyone! thanks for commenting! I've made it a goal to check out at least ONE work of someone who comments, and return the favor. So thanks, and keep writing! luv writerscramp lol